Organizations that implement Agile methodology know all too well how dynamic the market environment can be. There comes a time when organizations have to consider Agile program management for long-term benefits and success. In that case, an organization must provide proper training for their Agile program manager(s).
With that in mind, here's how to find good Agile program management training.
Why is proper training required?
Agile program management differs from regular project management. It encompasses multiple projects, long-term business goals, helps the organization adjust and adapt to changes on the market and develop adaptive decision making to combat the growing complexity and uncertainty on the market, among other things. The role on its own carries a lot of responsibility, which means that Agile program managers must be well-trained and prepared for the challenges ahead.
APMG International-Agile PgM Foundation
APMG (Agile Project Management Group) International provides an excellent training course and certification for Agile program managers. The APM group is a reliable provider that's certified by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS), as well as the International Accreditation Forum (IAF).
Their training course, the Agile PgM Foundation level enables managers to learn a disciplined, yet flexible approach to organizational changes and allowing them to develop programs that will accurately capture an organization's vision. Here's what you'll able to learn as well.
- The structure and the nature of Agile program lifecycle.
- How to plan the support for an Agile program.
- Controlling and managing an Agile program.
- Communication within an Agile program.
- How to organize people in an Agile program and how they can contribute to it.
- Strategies regarding the stakeholders.
The Knowledge Academy- Agile Programme Management (AgilePgM®)
The Knowledge Academy is one of the largest training and certification providers globally. They are accredited by various groups, such as Axelos, BCS, Microsoft, The Open Group, and APMG. The Knowledge Academy operates in over 1200 locations across 200 countries in the world.
Their training course, Agile Programme Management (AgilePgM®) provides sufficient training and knowledge for aspiring Agile program managers. Managers will have access to comprehensive best practice guidance on how to manage organizational change using the Agile practices. Here's what else you'll be able to learn.
- How to help establish flexible Agile programs that complement business change.
- How to successfully leverage Agile methods to ensure program delivery.
- How to actively promote trust, close collaboration and communication between stakeholders.
- How to help an organization achieve transformational change faster, at lower risks and costs.
You'll also learn the following:
- What is Agile?
- What is Agile PgM?
- Agile PgM and the overview of the products.
- Planning in Agile PgM.
- Responsibilities and roles in Agile PgM.
- Stakeholder engagement strategies.
- Monitor, control and risk management.
QA-Agile Program Management Foundation
QA Ltd is one of the UK's largest and most established training and certification providers. They are accredited by groups, such as Microsoft, APMG, SFIA Foundation and Tech Partnership. They provide extensive education and training for various Agile practices, including Agile program management.
Their training course, Agile Programme Management Foundation (AgilePgM®) is focused on aspiring and practicing program managers, as well as team members who wish to adopt a flexible and collaborative, but also disciplined approach to managing corporate-scale business transformation programs. Here's what you'll be able to learn.
- How to develop a more advanced, practical level of knowledge, in order to gain an understanding of Agile, as well as the ability to apply relevant program management strategies, leading to successful Agile programs.
- How to clarify different management styles required for successful Agile programs compared to traditional programs and how to be able to adapt these styles to the situation.
- How to actively promote close co-operation and trust between all stakeholders involved, and provide ongoing visibility into the current events.
- How to ensure continuous alignment to a changing business environment by combining the knowledge of more traditional management methodologies with Agile practices.
- How to encourage active stakeholder involvement, feedback and cooperation, in order to ensure an incremental and iterative realization of benefits.
PMI (Project Management Institute) - Program Management Professional (PgMP)®
The PMI is the global leader for certification and training in various areas of project management. They develop global standards to which other certification bodies refer to. They are a non-profit organization focused on advancing careers, improving organizational success and improve the profession of project management.
Their training course, Program Management Professional (PgMP)®, provides an advanced level of knowledge and skills for Agile program managers. Since PMI certification stands to be one of the best in the world, they also come with hefty requirements. Here's what you'll be able to learn.
- Strategic program management - Identifying benefits and opportunities, in order to achieve an organization's strategic objectives and goals through program management.
- Activities in the program lifecycle - Initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing.
- Benefits management - Defining, sustaining, creating and maximizing the benefits created by the program.
- Stakeholder management - Capturing stakeholder needs, expectations and requirements while maintaining their support and feedback.
- Governance - Maintaining proactive program management oversight, as well as decision-making support for applicable policies and practices throughout the entire program life cycle by establishing proper processes and procedures.
The requirements for PMI certifications are:
- Secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree or the global equivalent)
- 6,000 hours of project management experience
- 10,500 hours of program management experience
- Four-year degree
- 6,000 hours of project management experience
- 6,000 hours of program management experience
Finding proper training for your organization's Agile program manager can be challenging. You want to ensure that the person in charge of the program is skilled, knowledgeable and proficient. Fortunately, there are plenty of training providers out there. The key is finding the one that suits your organizational needs.